Thursday, December 1, 2011

ENTREVISTA A BEN NICHOLS.... CANTANTE DE "LUCERO"

Interview with Ben Nichols of Lucero at Mercy Lounge in Nashville

I caught up with Ben Nichols of Lucero last weekend during their two-night stand at the Mercy Lounge in Nashville. We shot the shit over things like the new record, the condition of his voice, the dream lineup at the Nashville shows (for which folks came from near and far to attend), and the possibility of touring with Frank Turner in the UK.

As fond as I already was of Ben Nichols The Songwriter and Musician, I came away with an equal fondness for Ben Nichols The Man. I could not help but be endeared by his humility, graciousness, and apparent deep love and respect for his family. I don’t think you’ll be able to help yourself either.

How did these Lucero/Glossary/Austin Lucas shows come to be? It’s kind of a dream lineup.
Well, Glossary’s on tour with Austin Lucas right now, which I haven’t seen yet. I haven’t seen Glossary backing up Austin yet, and I bet it’s amazing. I’m real curious to see how that goes. I’m sure it’ll be amazing. And, well, I did the first Revival Tour with Austin, and that’s where I met him, and we’ve run into him here and there, but we’ve never done a Lucero show with Austin before, that I can recall. We’ve kept in touch, though. We’ve always kind of run in the same circles, and so the fact that Glossary was out on tour with him, and Todd Beene plays with usand Glossary, it just kind of all fell together. So, of course, with Glossary being from Murfreesboro, having them as the opener is just ideal.

We’re all big fans of Glossary, and in fact, I’m just super-jealous ofJoey Kneiser—well, actually the whole band. They really are possibly my favorite band right at the moment. The way I see it, I’m just trying to keep up with them, as far as songwriting and making music goes. I’m just trying to approach getting anywhere near that good, and ya know, I actually get to see them play. It’s nice playing shows with friends.

I read somewhere that Joey Kneiser’s solo album, The All-Night Bedroom Revival, is your favorite record right now.
Yeah. It’s gorgeous. It’s just heartbreaking and beautiful. It just makes me wanna write songs.

Let’s talk about the new album, Women and Work.
Yup, we’re calling it Women and Work, which is the title of one of the songs. We played “Women and Work” and “Like Lightning” pretty much every day on Warped Tour. Now we’ve recently started adding “On My Way Downtown” and “It May Be Too Late” to the sets. We may do a couple more tonight, we’ll see. We’re starting to play more of the new ones. We just got done recording in Memphis at Ardent Studios with Ted Hutt as the producer. Same studio and same producer as 1372 [Overton Park].

On 1372… I think we figured out that we could add the horns, and that we could write songs that are, I dunno, kind of pushing the boundaries for the Lucero style, I guess. Now they just sound like Lucero songs to me. Like, in my head, it’s all the same thing. It’s all coming from the same place, and just ‘cause one song might swing a little bit, and one song might have a different kind of beat or feel to it, it all sounds like Lucero to me now. We figured out that we could do that when we did 1372, so this time, we went in knowing we could do that. I think the songs sound, I dunno… I don’t want to say more mature, but…. I dunno. Maybe.

As far as the evolution of the band’s sound, I think any long-time fan could have seen it coming.
Yeah, definitely. I dunno. I think it was just more intentional. There was a little more craft involved in the process, and man, they’re really, really fun to play. We’re just now getting the mixes back, and I dunno, I’m really proud of it, and I hope folks will like it. We’ll see. There could be a backlash or an uproar, who knows. I mean, when it comes down to it, you’re never going to be able to please everybody, and so as long as we can keep ourselves happy and interested and having fun, then, of course, I think that’s the main thing. I’m looking forward to seeing the reaction, whatever it is.

And another thing about this record, I didn’t start out making it for my father, but he kinda crept in there over the course of the songwriting and recording. Like, there’s a lot of old-school rock ‘n roll influences in there.

Like whom?
Like the 45s I was kind of raised on, like your Buddy Holly and your Sam Cooke and your Chuck Berry and your Jim Croce. There’s really a lot of your old-school rock ‘n roll sounds. I wasn’t able to do any Beach Boys-type songs, but… [laughs]

Yeah, that would require some harmonizing, and I think that might be hard with your voice in particular.
It would be. I think my voice is pretty much harmony-proof. [laughs]

So yeah, that was some of the stuff I was listening to and aspiring to as we were writing the songs, and I kinda realized the other day that that all came from my father. Towards the end of the writing process, there ended up being one song that, while it’s not quite as specific as “Mom” is on the last record about my mother, it’s got a lot of my father in it.

He seems like a character, from what I’ve heard.
Yeah, he’s great. He’s having a really good time with us doing what we do. He likes to google us and read about us and stuff. It might seem silly, but I dunno, I’m really glad that the stuff that we’re doing, my folks kinda “get” it, and they’re always really excited to hear new songs. They’ve loved the stuff I’ve played for them so far. If I can keep my parents happy, I think that’s a good sign.


I want to talk to you about your voice. When I first heard 1372 Overton Park, the first thing I thought was how you’ve grown into it, and I was just wondering if that was intentional.
More recently, I’ve been trying to be more conscious of it. In the old days, I was just used to singing as loudly as possible, and just kind of screaming my brains out to get over the really loud music. So then Lucero started soft, but I continued singing with the same voice. Then a lot of years passed, and a lot of time passed, so my voice changed naturally over the course of twelve years. I also wasn’t treatin’ it too well. Smoking too much and drinking too much, and never doing voice exercises or anything like that. [laughs] I mean, god no.

C’mon now, you were punk rock.
[laughs] That would’ve been just silly.

Just asinine. [laughs]
So, yeah, my voice just kind of deteriorated, really, and I just kept pushing it, but that wasn’t necessarily good for it. After 1372 I actually quit smoking for quite a long time, and then it came back, and I realized I didn’t have to push it quite as hard, and I could actually sing instead of screaming everything. I’m learning to ease back a little bit, and on this new record, you’ll definitely be able to hear it. On 1372, I got some good takes, but I would really love to go back and re-sing parts on that record, because parts of it were just really rough. I mean, nobody wants me to, and I’m not going to—I won’t ever do that—but I would love to. So the main thing is now, I really have to quit smoking for good again.

Well, there was a fullness and depth to your voice on that record that was never there before, and that’s why I liked it so much.
Part of that, I think, was working with Ted Hutt. We were pushing ourselves in different directions musically, and once you do that, it’s kind of natural to take your voice in different directions as well, just to kind of suit the songs. I think with the new record, we’re capitalizing on that.

I interviewed Frank Turner in Baltimore not too long ago, and he said he wants to bring you guys over to the UK to tour with him.
That would be amazing, and we all, of course, got along with Frank famously when we were on tour with Social Distortion. And he is such a great performer. I can’t do what he does. I’m just not that kind of guy, so I respect the hell out of it, and I’m jealous of it in a way, but yeah, I love what he does. The fact that he thinks about us at all is really cool. It would be extremely gracious of him if he wants to bring us over. Hopefully, it’ll come true soon.

Lucero was in Australia recently, too. Let’s talk about Jen Buxton. I’ve heard tell that Lucero wants to bring her to the States.
Hell yeah, I’d love to do that. I don’t know how we’ll make it work or when exactly it’ll be, but hell yeah. It’s something I wanna make happen, for sure. That was one of the really cool parts of the Revival Tour, was getting to meet her when we went to Australia. Chuck Ragan was like, “You’re gonna love this girl. She’s a beautiful songwriter,” and yeah, that is definitely the case. Plus we got along real well, so hopefully, one day, she’ll come over here.


So any new solo projects in the works?
Well, the plan is to write a graphic novel. That’s still on my list of things to do. It’s definitely a real goal, especially with my brother Jeff making these movies now. I can’t let him get that far ahead of me [laughs], so I’ve got to put out some sort of narrative. I went and saw the premier of Take Shelter in Little Rock, and it’s great, and it’s getting wonderful reviews. I’m super-proud of him. He did an excellent job.

He’s got a new movie called Mud that’s filming in Arkansas right now with Reese Witherspoon and Matthew McConaughey, and you automatically think romantic comedy, but it’s not at all. It’s much more like a modern day Huckleberry Finn. It’s gonna be excellent. Sam Shepard is in it too. He’s kind of a bad-ass. I was supposed to be in a scene with Reese Witherspoon, but I was in Texas, so they had to have someone else do it. I was really pissed off about that, because I wanted to do a scene with Reese Witherspoon.

I’d like to touch on your solo album, The Last Pale Light in the West. I read the book it’s based on [Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy] twice.
It’s intense.

It is. It was gut-wrenching both times. I told someone who had tried reading it three or four times but who eventually had to put it down, that I had read it twice. He then said how he admired how I, and anyone else, could read that book and go into dark places and come out unscathed.
I dunno… I dunno if we did come out unscathed.

I don’t know if we did either, honestly.

This entry was written by Michelle Evans and originally posted in TVD Washington, DC. Bookmark the permalink.


A CONTINUACIÓN LA MISMA ENTREVISTA KUTRE TRADUCIDA BY GOOGLE....

Entrevista con Ben Nichols, de Lucero en el salón de la Misericordia en Nashville


Me encontré con Ben Nichols, de  Lucero  durante su último fin de semana de dos noches de pie en la  Sala de la Misericordia  en Nashville. Rodamos la mierda sobre cosas como el nuevo disco, el estado de su voz, la alineación de ensueño en la muestra de Nashville (para los que la gente venía de cerca y de lejos para asistir), y la posibilidad de recorrer con Frank Turner  en el Reino Unido.

Tan aficionado como yo ya estaba de Ben Nichols El compositor y músico, me fui con una afición igual por Ben Nichols El Hombre. Yo no podía dejar de querer ser por su humildad, bondad y el amor profundo y evidente respeto a su familia. No creo que usted será capaz de ayudarse a sí mismo tampoco.

¿Cómo estas Lucas Lucero / Glosario / Austin muestra llegado a ser? Es una especie de línea de sueño.
Bueno,  Glosario de  gira con  Austin Lucas  en este momento, que no he visto todavía. No he visto Glosario copias de seguridad de Austin, sin embargo, y yo  apuesto  que es increíble. Estoy muy curioso por ver cómo va. Estoy seguro de que va a ser increíble. Y, bueno, yo hice el primer  viaje del renacimiento  con Austin, y ahí es donde me encontré con él, y nos hemos encontrado con él aquí y allá, pero nunca hemos hecho un espectáculo de Lucero con Austin antes, que yo recuerde. Nos hemos mantenido en contacto, sin embargo. Siempre hemos tipo de ejecución en los mismos círculos, por lo que el hecho de que el Glosario fue de gira con él, y Todd Beene juega con nosotros y  Glosario, es sólo un poco de todos cayeron juntos. Así que, por supuesto, con el Glosario de ser de Murfreesboro, tenerlos como el primer partido es ideal.

Todos somos grandes fans de Glosario, y de hecho, estoy súper celosa de Joey Kneiser -bueno, en realidad toda la banda. Lo que realmente son, posiblemente, mi derecho banda favorita en este momento. A mi modo de ver, sólo estoy tratando de mantenerse al día con ellos, en cuanto a composición de canciones y hacer música se va. Sólo estoy tratando de acercarse a llegar a ninguna parte cerca de lo bueno, y ya saben, en realidad llegar a verlos jugar. Es agradable muestra jugando con amigos.

Leí en alguna parte que álbum en solitario de Joey Kneiser,  El  Renacimiento Dormitorio de Toda la Noche , es tu disco favorito en este momento.
Sí.  Es una preciosidad. Es simplemente desgarradora y hermosa. Simplemente me dan ganas de escribir canciones

Vamos a hablar sobre el nuevo álbum,  Mujer y Trabajo.
Sí, lo estamos llamando a  mujeres y el trabajo , que es el título de una de las canciones. Jugamos "Mujer y Trabajo" y "Como un relámpago" casi todos los días en el Warped Tour. Ahora que hemos comenzado recientemente y agregó que "en mi centro Way" y "puede que sea demasiado tarde" para los conjuntos. Podemos hacer un par más esta noche, vamos a ver. Estamos empezando a jugar más de los nuevos. Acabamos de hacer la grabación en Memphis en  los estudios Ardent  de  Ted Hutt  como el productor. Mismo estudio y el productor mismo  1372 [Overton Park].

En  1372 ...  Creo que nos dimos cuenta de que podríamos añadir los cuernos, y que podemos escribir canciones que son, no sé, una especie de empujar los límites para el estilo de Lucero, supongo. Ahora sólo suenan canciones de Lucero para mí. Al igual que, en mi cabeza, es todo lo mismo. Que todo viene del mismo lugar, y sólo porque una canción puede pivotar un poco, y una canción puede tener un tipo de golpe o se sienten a la misma, todo esto suena como Lucero para mí ahora. Nos dimos cuenta de que podíamos hacer que cuando hicimos  1372 , así que esta vez, nos fuimos en el  saber  que podía hacer eso. Creo que el sonido de las canciones, no sé ... no quiero decir, más maduro, pero .... No lo sé. Tal vez.

En cuanto a la evolución del sonido de la banda, creo que cualquier fan desde hace mucho tiempo podría haber visto venir.
Sí, definitivamente. No lo sé. Creo que era más  intencional . No era un oficio poco más involucrados en el proceso, y el hombre, son muy, muy divertido de jugar. Recién ahora estamos recibiendo las mezclas de nuevo, y lo sé, estoy muy orgulloso de él, y espero que la gente le va a gustar. Vamos a ver. No puede haber una reacción o un escándalo, ¿quién sabe. Quiero decir, cuando se llega a ella, nunca vas a ser capaz de complacer a todo el mundo, y por lo tanto, siempre y cuando podamos mantenernos contentos e interesados ​​y se divierten, entonces, por supuesto, creo que eso es lo principal. Estoy deseando ver la reacción, lo que sea.

Y otra cosa acerca de este disco, que no comenzó por lo que es para mi padre, pero un poco entrado allí a lo largo de la composición y grabación. Al igual, hay un montón de influencias de la vieja escuela de rock 'n roll en ese país.

Como quién?
Al igual que los 45 años yo era una especie de criado en, como su Buddy Holly y su Sam Cooke y el de Chuck Berry y su Croce Jim. No hay realmente un montón de rock de la vieja escuela n sonidos roll. Yo no era capaz de hacer cualquier tipo de Beach Boys-canciones, pero ...  [se ríe]

Sí, que requieren algunas de armonización, y creo que podría ser difícil con su voz en particular.
Que sería. Creo que mi voz es más o menos una prueba de armonía.  [risas]

Así que sí, que era una de las cosas que estaba escuchando y que aspiran a que estábamos escribiendo las canciones, y me di cuenta un poco el otro día que todos los que vinieron de mi padre. Hacia el final del proceso de escritura, que terminó siendo una canción que, aunque no es tan específico como "mamá" está en el último disco de mi madre, que tiene mucho de mi padre en ella.

Parece un personaje, por lo que he oído.
Sí, es genial. Está teniendo un momento muy bueno con nosotros haciendo lo que hacemos. A él le gusta que nos google y leer acerca de nosotros y esas cosas. Puede parecer una tontería, pero yo no sé, estoy muy contento de que las cosas que estamos haciendo, mi gente un poco "get", y que siempre están muy contentos de escuchar nuevas canciones. Que se han querido las cosas que he jugado para ellos hasta ahora. Si puedo mantener felices a mis padres, creo que es una buena señal.


Quiero hablar con usted acerca de su voz. Cuando escuché por primera vez  1372 Overton Park,  lo primero que pensé fue cómo has crecido en ella, y me pregunto si eso fue intencional.
Más recientemente, he estado tratando de ser más conscientes de ello. En los viejos tiempos, que se utilizó sólo para cantar lo más fuerte posible, y sólo un poco de gritos los sesos para conseguir más de la música muy fuerte. Así entonces Lucero comenzó suave, pero continuó cantando con la misma voz. Entonces un montón de años pasaron, y pasó mucho tiempo, así que mi voz cambió, naturalmente, a lo largo de doce años. Asimismo, no se treatin 'demasiado bien. Fumar en exceso y beber demasiado, y nunca haciendo ejercicios de voz ni nada de eso. risas ] Es decir, Dios no.

Vamos, ahora, se punk rock.
risas ] Eso hubiera sido una tontería.

Simplemente estúpido. risas ]
Así que, sí, mi voz sólo un poco deteriorado, de verdad, y yo seguí empujando, pero eso no era necesariamente bueno para él. Después de  1372  que en realidad dejar de fumar por un tiempo bastante largo, y luego se volvió, y me di cuenta que no tenía que empujar tan duro, y yo podía  cantar  en lugar de gritar todo. Estoy aprendiendo a aliviar un poco hacia atrás, y en este nuevo disco, que sin duda va a ser capaz de oír. En  1372 , me lleva a algo bueno, pero realmente me gustaría volver atrás y volver a cantar las partes en ese disco, porque partes de ella fueron simplemente muy difícil. Quiero decir, nadie quiere a mí, y yo no voy a nunca voy a hacer eso, pero me encantaría. Así que lo principal ahora es, realmente tengo que dejar de fumar para siempre de nuevo.

Bueno, hubo una plenitud y la profundidad de su voz en ese disco que nunca estuvo allí antes, y por eso me gustó tanto.
Parte de eso, creo, estaba trabajando con Ted Hutt. Nos estábamos empujando en diferentes direcciones musicales, y una vez que lo haces, es algo natural para tomar la voz en diferentes direcciones, así, sólo para satisfacer el tipo de canciones. Creo que con el nuevo disco, estamos capitalizando eso.

Entrevisté a Frank Turner en Baltimore no hace mucho tiempo, y me dijo que quiere llevar los chicos al Reino Unido de gira con él.
Eso sería increíble, y todos, por supuesto, se llevaba bien con Frank famoso cuando estábamos de gira con Social Distortion. Y él es un gran artista. No puedo hacer lo que hace. Yo no soy esa clase de persona, por lo que respecta a la mierda de ella, y estoy celoso de él de una manera, pero sí, me encanta lo que hace. El hecho de que él piensa de nosotros en todo es realmente genial. Sería muy amable de él si quiere llevarnos más. Espero que te hagan realidad pronto.

Lucero fue en Australia hace poco, también. Vamos a hablar de  Jen Buxton . He oído decir que Lucero quiere traerla a los Estados Unidos.
El infierno sí, me encantaría hacer eso. No sé cómo vamos a hacerle el trabajo o el momento exacto en que va a ser, pero sí el infierno. Es algo que quiero hacer que suceda, por supuesto. Esa fue una de las partes geniales de la Vuelta del renacimiento, estaba llegando a su encuentro cuando fuimos a Australia.  Chuck Ragan  fue como, "Te va a encantar esta chica. Ella es una compositora hermoso ", y sí, eso es definitivamente el caso. Además nos llevamos muy bien, así que espero que, algún día, ella vendrá aquí.
Así que todos los proyectos en solitario en las obras?
Bueno, el plan es escribir una novela gráfica. Que todavía está en mi lista de cosas que hacer. Es sin duda un objetivo real, especialmente con mi hermano Jeff haciendo estas películas ahora. No puedo dejar que llegar tan lejos por delante de mí [ risas ], así que tengo que poner algún tipo de narrativa. Fui y vi el primer ministro de  la Vivienda Tome  en Little Rock, y es genial, y se está haciendo, muy recomendable. Estoy súper orgullosa de él. Él hizo un trabajo excelente.

Tiene una nueva película llamada  lodo  que está filmando en Arkansas ahora con Reese Witherspoon y Matthew McConaughey, y automáticamente pensar en la comedia romántica, pero no es en absoluto. Es mucho más parecido a un moderno  Huckleberry Finn . Va a ser excelente. Sam Shepard es en ella también. Él es una especie de culo de mal.Se suponía que debía estar en una escena con Reese Witherspoon, pero yo estaba en Texas, por lo que tuvo que haber alguien que lo haga. Yo estaba muy enojado por eso, porque yo quería hacer una escena con Reese Witherspoon.

Me gustaría tocar en su álbum en solitario,  la última luz pálida en el oeste . Leí el libro está basado en [Meridiano de sangre,  de Cormac McCarthy] dos veces.
Es intenso.

Lo que es. Fue desgarrador en ambas ocasiones. Le dije a alguien que había intentado leerlo tres o cuatro veces, pero que finalmente tuvo que dejar de leerlo, que lo había leído dos veces. Entonces él me dijo que admiraba la forma cómo yo, y nadie más, puede leer ese libro y entrar en lugares oscuros y salir indemne.
No lo sé ... No sé si salió ileso.

No sé si lo hiciéramos bien, la verdad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DEJA TU COMENTARIO.... ACEPTAMOS CRÍTICAS...